Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Black Hole


 I got this from Mr. Sponsorpants website and I love it.  It speaks to me.  

Last night my home group had a tough meeting.  Many folks are struggling with depression over the holidays.  They are sitting and staring into the black hole and feel it will never change.  They are praying more, trying to turn it over, let go.  And yet, they feel abandoned by god's grace.  I'm sure lots of people have said it over the years, but the one I remember is Julie Andrews: when god closes a door, he opens a window.  Or, in the case of this painting, not a window, but a wall.  

Yet there is so much stillness in this painting-the moment for action has not yet come.  The white figure could be an angel, god's grace, the spiritual representation of the seated man himself.  I see it as grace, and grace is present: don't look, don't look, I am with you, I feel your pain.

I heard this in my first month of sobriety and it gave me a physical jolt and brought tears to my eyes: whatever god's will brings you, god's grace will never abandon you.  And here is a representation of that reality.

0 comments:

Post a Comment